Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely people over at The Broke & the Bookish. Today’s topic is a freebie topic where we get to pick what we want to talk about, so today I wanted to talk about top ten habits of a bookworm! I thought this would be fun because 99.999999999% of us do these things, I swear. I was also inspired to do this topic based on Cait @ Paper Fury‘s post on what book bloggers actually do.
So, here are some habits I’ve noticed with bookworms:
1 . We habitually stalk every website ever when it comes to new book releases. I’m talking Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Waterstones, Booksamillion, wherever you shop for books or look for new releases that’ll be coming, we constantly stalk these websites. We need to know when new books are coming out AND WE NEED TO KNOW NOW.
2. We keep our shelves a certain way, and if someone touches them, they better have insurance. Seriously, you know how we are about our bookshelves and we want them to be in pristine condition, aka the way we left them 493409 years ago. So when someone comes and touches said preciouses and then moves them, oh man. You either silently put back the book in the place you know it’s supposed to be in after they’ve stepped – slowly – away from the shelves, or you tell nicely to put it back where it belongs. Or you death glare at them, whatever works.
3. We sniff our books. YOU KNOW YOU DO THIS. DON’T LIE TO ME. Books have an amazing smell, and if you’ve never smelled them before, I suggest you do it now. It’ll instantly relieve any stress you have and you’ll be in book heaven bliss.
4. When it comes to book buying bans, we usually don’t last. I mean, some bookworm’s resolve are a lot stronger than others (not mine), so when they say they’re going to on a book buying ban until they read X amount of books, they actually do it. But some of us just…don’t…can’t do that.
5. If we really love a book with all the fire of a thousand suns, then we’ll buy 4903249034 editions of it and proudly display them on our shelves. I have two copies of a couple of books that I LOVE WITH ALL MY HEART. Namely, ACOMAF and Fangirl. But I know of people that have four or six different copies of series like Harry Potter or The Mortal Instruments, or their favorite books in different languages.
6. Our bookmark collections can rival our book collections. Seriously, what bookworm do you know that has just ONE bookmark? I mean, I’m sure some do, or some don’t even use a bookmark, but for those of us that have bookmarks we have HOARDS of them. I think I have close to 50 individual bookmarks, if not more.
7. When we collect bookish merchandise we like to proudly display them everywhere. Between all the totes, buttons, jewelry, notepads, swag, and more that we get from publishers, events, online, or wherever, we have no choice but to display them in every crevice we can find!
8. We have an urge to perfect our preferred platform. I don’t know about you, but I have this intense urge to make my blog as aesthetically pleasing as possible (it’s still not where I want it to be yet), or make our videos look amazing, or our Bookstagram photos beautiful. It’s not like we’re showing off or anything, but we want people to keep coming back and not think our platforms look messy, right?
9. We want to connect with every bookworm ALL OVER THE WORLD, and that’s not a bad thing. Seriously, the book community is one of the friendliest and most welcoming I’ve ever encountered on the Internet. Even when there’s trouble being stirred up because we’re not perfect (I know, crazy, right?) we still try to be as civil as possible and make amends and be awesome friends again.
10. If we know there is a bookstore nearby, even if we’re in the company of others, we will somehow convince them to join us in our excursion to said bookstore. It’s like a magnetic pull to the stores. The books in the window just stare at you, cooing at you saying, “Come and touch our spines.” Okay, that got creepy really fast, but you know what I’m talking about.
Let’s Chat! ≧◡≦
What kinds of bookworm habits do you have? Do you agree with my list, or do you not do some of these things? Which habit are you most guilty of?