Oh hi, long time no see! I’ve been wicked busy these days, what with the end of the year and big life plans that I’m trying to see through to the end, so I haven’t had much time for blogging and stuff. But here we are with Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner’s 8th Annual End of Year Survey! I’ve done this survey the last few years, and in keeping with tradition, I’m doing it again! So let’s jump in.
P.S. All the banners are from her blog because I’m #lazy.
Number Of Books You Read: 60+ (I’m counting all the chapters of comics, plus manga, plus novels I’ve read.)
Number of Re-Reads: 5
Genre You Read The Most From: Comics! Specifically web comics.
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
I picked up the Tokyo Ghoul series which is a SUPER awesome manga series! I still have the last two volumes to finish, though, as of this survey being posted lol
Oh, also Noragami. And King’s Maker. And I Love Yoo. So many good things. I can’t choose just one.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Deathnote. Okay, I still liked it, don’t get me wrong, but I just felt like there was SO much dialogue! Like… way more than I’m used to in manga.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Hadome! I mean, it’s a series about a man who has a wicked foot fetish, and a girl who falls for that guy. Okay, that’s really oversimplified, but that’s the basics of what it is lol But it’s one of my favorite ongoing webcomics!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I recommend King’s Maker all the time because OMG IT’S SO GOOD. Blood and stabbing and betray and subtle boys’ love, and the ARTWORK? I can’t even.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Best series: Noragami
Sequel: Um. I have no idea, honestly.
Ender: Something About Us
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Go check out this post where I talk about a crap ton of my online reads because I love all of these people.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Hmm… I feel like I’ve read all things I’d want to read, so…
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Tokyo Ghoul! So action packed and so good. Also Blue Exorcist and Noragami.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably any of the manga I’ve read this year lol
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Ren from Blue Exorcist. I love him.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
I looooooved A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab! So goooood!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
The Sun is Also a Star had a lot of topics I haven’t read about before. Also A Silent Voice manga!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
A Darker Shade of Magic, let’s be real.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“I’m not going to die,” she said. “Not till I’ve seen it.”
Her smile widened. “Everything.”
― V.E. Schwab, A Darker Shade of Magic
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: Probably some webcomic I’ve read lol It would take too long to look through them all, and a lot are still ongoing.
Longest: A Dark Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I’m trying to think of which one did but I’m not sure…
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
LET ME COUNT THE WAYS BECAUSE THERE’S SO MANY.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Yuki and Yato from Noragami
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Sun is Also a Star
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
*shows long list of webcomics* Thank you, Internet.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Hmm… I don’t know that I have one.
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
I Love Yoo, Siren, My Dear Cold-Blooded King, King’s Maker, Crushed
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I mean, I can literally see the worlds in the comics I read, and so many of them are incredible in their detail and color. My favorite is King’s Maker.
As for novel, I’m going with ADSOM.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Star x Fanboy IS THE CUTEST WEBCOMIC EVER AND YOU NEED TO READ IT NOW.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Out of Control
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Hmm…. this one’s hard. I don’t think I can actually pick anything for this one.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
A Guy Like You
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
At the End of the Road had a stupid ending. That’s all.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
I don’t think I’ve actually seen any new ones this year.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
Well, I think my Summer Reading one is because it took me a million years to write with how much I put in it lol
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Finally Fall Book Tag
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Love-a-thon 2017 – Get to Know Me
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
I discovered my love for comics and manga again, which has been amazing.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Psh, what blogging life? I’ve barely blogged this year at all because I just haven’t had the motivation to and I just haven’t been able to read “books” to review and I just haven’t had anything to talk about. Plus I’ve distanced myself from the book community, so yeah.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Finally Fall Book Tag
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Eh, I’m fine with everything I think.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Not really a discovery, but I love going to Brookline Booksmith in Brookline, MA because it’s the only independent book store I know of in my state and it’s lovely.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Probably A Court of Wings and Ruin.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Umm… I’m not sure. Again, I haven’t been keeping up with book news much. OH. Maybe Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi.
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
I’m looking forward to the next book in the An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
I’m not sure. I’m debating stopping blogging because this year I just haven’t been into it. So… TBD.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):