Why, hello there. It’s been a hot minute, hasn’t it? Well, today I’m coming at you with a couple of TBRs as I make July a super busy month filled with writing for Camp NaNoWriMo, as well as two month long readathons, and moving to a new state! Fun fun!
The Book Junkie Trials
This first readathon is The Book Junkie Trials, created and hosted by Rachael Marie of Rachael Marie Book Junkie. Her announcement video covers all the bases as far as what the reading challenges for every team are, so I’ll let you peruse that, but basically there are four teams: Scribe, Mage, Outlaw, and Bard. You take a quiz to be determined which team you’ll be a part of, and then you can follow the respective leader’s video to learn about each trial and their destinations to The Bookie Grail.
So I am part of the Magi team, and as such, we are following the map that Rachael Marie created from Orcs Cove, down to Ol’ Pirate Cove, through Glimmer, into the Draconic Isle, and finally to the Bookie Grail.
Each stop has a specific goal that each team must achieve in their respective routes to reach the Bookie Grail.
- Orc Cove: Some say there are no talking to orcs, but a good political relationship is needed. Learn some orc customs by reading a book that is gruesome, gory, or gritty.
- Ol’ Pirate Cove: Shiver me timbers! You’ll be walking the plank if you don’t learn how to sail better. Read a book that takes place, at least in part, at sea.
- Glimmer: This isle is alight with gems and crystals, one of the most picturesque spots in the High Queendom. Make sure you fit in with a beautiful or colorful book.
- Draconic Isle: Oh my! This island is swarming with wyverns and dragons. Brush up your draconic knowledge with a book that features dragons.
- The Bookish Grail: Here you find a lost manuscript, delivered on this forgotten isle by a fallen star. Read the group book: Stardust by Neil Gaiman.
And each team has one ability and one flaw that can either help or hinder them. So the Magi’s ability is time manipulation. We have a three day lead on all other teams (which means we were able to start our first book on June 28th).
As for our weakness: One of our spells went awry, and now they are forced to read a book outside their comfort zone.
So here’s my TBR for this readathon:
- Orcs Cove: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (already completed with my time ability)
- Ol’ Pirate Cove: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
- Glimmer: Crystal Crowned by Elise Kova
- The Draconic Isle: A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan
- The Bookish Grail: Stardust by Neil Gaiman
I want to say my flaw book is Sea of Monsters because I don’t read middle grade all the often, if at all (minus the first Percy Jackson a few months ago).
This readathon lasts the whole month, so I’m excited to dive into these books!
This readathon is also taking place for the whole month, and it’s hosted by Holly of Holly Hearts Books. Her announcement video explains in detail everything that is taking place for this readathon, but basically it’s like a build your own character RPG type of thing, and I am here. For. It.
So the more books you read, the higher your rank will become, from lowly peasant all the way up to king or queen.
And the way this works: you get to dress your character.
- Crown: A book where a character fights for the throne.
- Helmet: A book with a dragon on the cover.
- Breastplate: A shiny book.
- Shin guards: A thick book.
- Boots: A book that has yellowed over time.
- Cloak: A book with red on the dust jacket.
But not only do you get to earn your armor, you also get to pick a weapon of your choice!
- Sword: A book with something pointy on the cover.
- Dual blades: A book with assassins.
- Bow & arrows: A book with elves.
- Ax: A book with mercenaries.
So, here is my TBR for this readathon:
- Crown: The Queens of Innis Lear by Tessa Gratton
- Helmet: A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan
- Breastplate: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Shin guards: Stupid Love Comedy by Syusyusyu Sakurai
- Boots & weapon: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- Cloak: Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto
This is a very hopeful TBR lol I don’t know how many I’ll actually get to finish, but I hope it’ll be a lot of them over the course of the month!
Let’s chat! ❤
What do you think of these readathons? Are you participating? What’s your most anticipated read? How many books do you have set out to read for July, even if you don’t participate in these readathons? Let me know!