Oh why, hello there. How are you all? I wanted to first and foremost apologize for not posting much at all this year. It’s been a tough year emotionally and mentally for me and I just haven’t had the motivation to blog at all, but I want to turn that around because I miss blogging and all of you, so here I am with a reading wrap up! I’m going to talk about a bunch of comics I’ve read the past several months and my thoughts on what I’ve read so far since the majority of them are still ongoing.
I’m going to list what I’ve read under their respective websites in which you can find them. Yes, some of these you have to pay for (Lezhin), but others are completely free (Tapastic & LINE Webtoon).
Royal Servant by MasterGin and drawn by Chungnyun. “I love you, Master.” Born as a servant but falls in love with the man who hates servants. A romantic fantasy between master and servant.
This Boy Love (BL) comic is kind of dark and twisted, but I still really enjoy it. I’ve read up to the current chapter and I’m dying to know what happens next and if Kyon will stay with Laocan or not because he had memories hidden away from him that were unlocked and it’s just a lot of unanswered questions. Ahhh, I hope this is a longer series because it’s really interesting and there’s lots of boy love to go around (not just with the two primary characters).
This comic does have mature themes, so keep that in mind if you check this out.
At the End of the Road by Haribo. After a car accident, Taemin finds himself in the body of Siwon, a victim of bullying at school. No longer a pushover, he starts standing up for himself but then meets Woojin, an old friend from the past. Somehow, Woojin immediately picks up Tamin’s ‘scent’ from Siwon. What happened between these two in the past and how will it affect their future?
I know I’ve talked briefly about this comic before in Why I Love Boys Love, but I wanted to include it here, too, because the stakes just keep seeming to get higher and there’s a lot of tension between Siwon and Woojin, and there’s so many twisted people and events but I’m so hooked. There’s a lot going on that you as the reader don’t know about and I find that to be one of the best parts of this comic. Plus the whole body switching thing? I really want to know what’s going to happen later on or if Taemin is going to be stuck in Siwon’s body forever. Ahhh, so many questions!
This comic does have more mature themes if you check it out.
Out of Control by Bboong. Yuri, one of the school’s most handsome guys, and Jaerim, one of the school’s ugliest, collide! Or don’t they… Can’t understand what’s going on between these two! It’s out of control!
SO much hilarity ensues in this comic and I love it because of that. Toward the end, though, it gets more dark and serious, but it’s still a driving force in the story and I found that I needed to know what happens next with these two. It’s pretty much a story about how the super hot popular guy falls for the ugly guy (though it mostly focuses on Jaerim) and how they end up trying to hide it from the school and stuff and there’s a lot of chaos and bullying and trying to find the strength and confidence to get through it all. It’s completed so if you want to check it out, go ahead! I enjoyed it and felt that the story wrapped up nicely and I’m glad with how the characters turned around at the end.
King’s Maker by Haga and art by Kang Jiyoung. Wolfgang Goldenleonard, the 4th Prince of the kingdom, returns to the palace after years of living in hiding. He rejects everything about his new royal life, but is intrigued by the mysterious and dutiful Shin Soohyuk, a catamite of the King. As Wolfgang slowly opens up and learns the ways of the palace, Soohyuk begins to see something special about the wild, unkempt, and stubborn young prince. He might just be the one Soohyuk has been waiting for… the one who could light the flame of rebellion.
I don’t think you understand how much I love this comic. Not only is the art GORGEOUS, but the story itself is compelling. The main character, Wolfgang, is by far the coolest character ever (he seems to be selfless and caring and relaxed around others while everyone around him is like, “You shouldn’t be like that,” and he’s just all, PSSSHHHHH). It hasn’t even gotten to the romance aspect of it yet (though I know it’s going to soon because I’m the Queen of spoiling myself lol), but when it does you will probably hear my fangirlish squeaks of glee from wherever you are.
Not only is this story just pretty to look at, but there’s a lot of humor and just general silliness mixed in with the hard and difficult stuff as well. I find that it’s a good contrast to break some of the tension because though this has been a more light-hearted story than some, there are still some moments where there’s difficult stuff. I highly recommend this ongoing comic, so definitely check it out!
Window to Window by Lee Aru. Childhood friends Ginu and Yubin live in separate apartments in separate buildings right next to each other – so close, in fact, they can talk to each other and see into each other’s apartments through their windows. But Yubin’s long-held secret is revealed one day when Ginu sees him doing something naughty through the window…
This BL story contains a LOT of mature sexual content, so keep that in mind when going into this.
Apart from the sexy stuff, I’m really enjoying this comic (I mean, I’m enjoying the sexy stuff… anyway, continue). I love reading about childhood friends and how they both have feelings for each other but neither wants to admit it, and yet they’re in this very strange circumstance with each other and I’m just like, “ONE OF YOU CONFESS ALREADY.” It’s torture, I tell you. But either way, this is more of a sexy fluff story than a super serious one, so I like to read it to take the edge off of all of the other serious comics I’ve been reading, haha! It’s good though, so check it out!
Something About Us by Lee Yunji. They consider themselves the best of friends. Others seem to think otherwise.
There’s something about their relationship that’s hard to describe. What will become of these two “friends”?
This is the one of two non-BL comic on this list, bwahaha, but OMG IT’S SO CUTE. I loved this story and the characters and the ART. The art style is simple yet so beautiful, and I think that’s definitely one of the draws of this story. Other than that, it’s a story about two friends who became best friends in high school, and now that they’re in college Gayoung (the girl) falls for Woojin in an unexpected way. There’s of course drama and a bunch of things that go on, but as time progresses and they both start to have feelings for each other things get even more complicated and even cuter. This comic is completed and is one of my favorites. Check it out!
Blood Bank by Silb. Blood Bank is where vampires come to buy human blood! In a land where vampires, the supreme beings, rule human beings, there are those that have abnormalities. These vampires, while still superior, prefer to be ruled and commanded by humans. See how Shell, the son of a Blood Bank lord, falls for a mere human banker, One.
Another completed comic, this BL is about a vampire, Shell, who is very different from the other vampires around, even though he acts one way in public compared to privately, and of One, a human with a secret that even he wasn’t so sure about. But this comic has a lot of twists and turns and, of course, sexual things that make you want to go George Takei “oh myyyy” on it. But the story itself has a lot of twists to it that you might not expect that I felt made the story and characters that much more interesting. It was a more serious comic in content, but there were moments where it was funny and cute, and if you’re looking for a vampire BL story, then check this one out.
Make Me Bark by Sagold. Sungjoon’s not doing great, but life is looking up. His job at the convenience store pays enough for him to afford his own place. A tiny, smelly, and laughably cheap place, but he loves it. He loves it right up until he walks home and finds it on fire.
Unfortunately, things get worse as he realizes he doesn’t know anyone in the city who can help. Wait, no… that’s not right. Actually, he does know Lee Hyo-in. A rich kid from his university who is, coincidentally, looking for a roommate. Well, not a roommate. More of a… dog.
This BL is more mature in nature, so keep that in mind. It’s also ongoing and still in the early chapters, but I find it to be really cute so far. I have so many questions as to the motives and back story for Lee Hyo-in, particularly, because there’s a lot about him that makes me want to know when he fell for Sungjoon and just more about him. Of course I want to know more about Sungjoon, too, but still. Also, I always find the dynamic interesting when you have a kind of clueless about sex and sexual things character (Sungjoon) and one that seems more experienced in it (Hyo-in). Frankly, I don’t know what to expect with this story and I kind of like it?
30 Days With You by Kim Wonee and art by Youngmo. Iro’s plan was simple. Pretend to be a service man, make the delivery, and exchange a few words with Rene, his dream guy. But when a drunk Rene mistakes him for the android he ordered, Iro decides to take advantage of the situation. As long as he keeps playing along, he gets to live with the man of his dreams! But what will happen when Rene finds out the truth?
This ongoing BL series is still in its earlier chapters, so not too much has happened plot wise, but what has happened so far makes me want to know more! Especially about the main characters Iro and Rene. Like, why did Iro make a S-Roid (sex android) business and what is his motivation behind it? What is Rene’s back story? I need to know more and I want to know now. I also like how this story is told in a lot of blue hues. It’s cool to see how the artist uses just blue to convey depth of field and the characters and such. Anyway, I’m enjoying this comic so far because there’s a lot of humor in it and not as much seriousness.
Hadomae by Choenamsae. While posing as a nude model for a croquis class, Jaehee spots a man staring a little too intently at her body. More specifically, at her feet. She later finds out the man is a shoemaker and foot fetishist. Though Jaehee is initially taken aback by his fetish, the more she gets to know the man, the more she wishes he would caress the rest of her body…and not just her feet.
This non-BL story (the second on this list for Lezhin), has a lot of mature content. So I really like this story so far and I want to know what happens next because the current chapter that just came out? SOMEONE HELP JAEHEE. Jaehee, as a character, I find to be super naive of many things. Like… how is someone THAT innocent and almost stupid when it comes to anything sexual? I don’t know, I just kind of question it a bit, but at the same time I think that she’s a funny character and I hope things don’t go bad for her. As for the story itself I didn’t know what to expect when I read the description for it but it’s super funny and just kind of hot. I want to know more about all of the main and significant characters so far! Ahhh, I need more!
Peach Love by Fujoking. Love is the new kid on the block when he runs into the Peach Club, the local gang. Simple and gentle, with an interest in sex toys, Love isn’t looking for trouble. Too bad the gang’s got plans for him. And so does their leader, Peach.
This comic just started getting translated into English recent so there’s not a lot of chapters, but it’s mostly action based so far and I have SO many questions, especially considering Love uses sex toys as reference models for the dolls he makes? Like… why? How? How does that even work? I don’t even know. I also want to know more about his past because it hasn’t been revealed yet as to why he has so many enemies and stuff. And then there’s Peach who’s a tough guy who falls in love at first sight with Love and they’re kind of dating? I don’t even know if that’s really a thing even though it was stated in the comic because they just seem like friends? Ahhh, I’m so confused and I just need more because I’m hooked.
A Guy Like You by Waje. Go Siwon’s dreams are constantly visited by the clever, beautiful Kang Jinha. In the dream, Jinha keeps on mentioning this “incident” that happened between them but Siwon can’t remember anything! And how can it feel so real? Luckily for Siwon, hints about the “incident” start to appear and Siwon is able to regain his memory bit by bit. How will their relationship change at the end of it all?
This BL has mature themes. I’ve really been enjoying this ongoing comic because it has a light fantasy feel to it which I find very interesting, though it hasn’t been a super prominent component the last few chapters as it’s been focusing more on the boys and their pasts and such. I’m still trying to figure out a lot of things that I don’t want to spoil that have been happening but overall I’ve been enjoying this series.
- Aimatos by Rowein. Boy meet boy and together search their origins. This story is about two friends who fall for each other and one boy has exploding blood? It’s very interesting and funny so far.
- Bright Memories by Ezaho-Illness. I decided to start my own comic named ”Bright memories”… it’s about my relationship with my boyfriend Ryo. I think our story is very unique and I wanted to share some of our moments. This story has an interesting art style, and so far not too much has happened, but I’m curious to see just how these two started to date.
- Eyes on Me by loonytwin. This comic is about a boy, Evan, who forgets his keys at his roommates house, on his way to find them he didn’t expect to find such a cute guy at the door… even less for said guy to be half naked and interested in him for no reason! I’ve been finding this comic to be funny so far and about one guy’s desire for another, even though the one he’s desiring after seems to just want to tease him about it. Who knows, maybe it’ll be a funny romance.
- Flourishing Flower by RoseNose. After school Milo and his sister Hanna walk past a flower shop. They meet Ben, who is the owner of the shop. Hanna is immediately faszinated by the flowers. Ben gives them a bouquet of flowers as a gift, due to the fact that the siblings do not have much money. They start to visit Ben on a regular basis and a friendship starts to grow. Slowly Milo realizes that it might be more than just the normal friendship feeling which he has towards Ben. The Teenager does not really know how to handle the situation properly… So far this story is cute and simple, and I like that. It seems like it’s going to be a fluff kind of story, so I’m excited to see where it goes from here.
- Goodnight Darling by Michi. Raina returns to Polleto, her childhood home, after a bitter fight with her mother. Staying with her two older brothers, enrolled in a new school, and bullied constantly–along with striking news of a murderer–there’s practically no one to help her cope with her newfound life in an old town. Well…there’s Baru, a byproduct of her stress and anxiety. As much as she believes he’s imaginary…being in Polleto is making her question many things about herself, and him. The main character has my name! It’s just spelled differently, but it always excites me when I hear characters with my name since it’s not common, haha! This is a much darker comic than many of the others because the creator has been using it as a way to cope with dreams and mental things she’s been dealing with and I think that’s very awesome of her. The story itself is very interesting so far and I have a lot of questions, but I’m sure we’ll get more as time goes on.
Java Bonds by Yaa. Prepare for Slow Burn! (if at all ԾᴗԾ) Henry’s life consists of self-chosen lonely cigarette or coffee breaks and friends he shouldn’t fall for. I’m liking this story so far! Yaa is probably my favorite creator I’ve read so far on Tapas, so I’m definitely enjoying the story. I can’t tell if it’s going to be a BL or if there’s just hints of it, but I love the way she portrays the main character’s anxiety as this little devil type of thing that sits on his shoulder and tells him he’s crap and stuff. And how like… stuff melts from his hair, like his brain and the anxiety are melting over him… I don’t know, there’s a lot of cool imagery!
- Hades’ Holiday by elvishness. Hades and Persephone just want to be together; If only the gods agreed with them. Hades’ Holiday is a modern, fun adaptation of the characters from Greek Mythology! This has been a cute comic so far with lovely art and fun characters and I wish it was updated more often, but alas, we cannot rush art. I love the retelling of these Greek gods and how they all interact with one another. It’s good!
- Love Lesson by enka923. “I finally fall in love!-” A story revolves around a socially awkward school boy, Akamine Natsuki, who is after so long finally able to taste the sweet nectar of falling in love. Unfortunately (or not) for him, though, he fell in love to the non other than the most popular kid in school, a boy named Kobayashi Haruki. This is a story about them, their friends, and their relationships. This is a cute comic so far about a boy who falls for this other boy, but doesn’t tell him because he doesn’t want to ruin his budding friendship and stuff. I hope they kiss soon, let’s be honest.
- How to Tell if Your Crush Likes You by Ame-Senpai. School Life? Check!
Join these two boys as they traverse the complicated concept that is “CRUSHES”. This story isn’t too far into it, but so far it looks like just a normal friendship that will turn into romance eventually. I’m looking forward to it!
- The One Who Loved You From Behind by Ghostfeet. Wren Long is the very definition of ‘rebellious teen’ with his hazardous habits of picking fights and causing havoc wherever he goes. However, he only seems to listen to his adamant ‘online’-girlfriend, Eda, that he met months ago but have never once seen her face?! In truth; his girlfriend is actually Eda’mame’. A softhearted boy in wheelchairs that goes to the same school as Wren, who don’t have the heart to tell him the truth. This is such a good comic! And the creator is hilarious in her comments on her panels, omg. It’s about a boy in a wheelchair, Eda, who is in love with this boy named Wren, and they’re “dating” but Eda thinks Wren thinks that Eda’s a girl and it’s just like… ahhhh this is so good and I want moreeeee. I can’t even describe it, just go read it.
- Theurgy by midgart. Theurgy is a BL comic about a lazy demon and the idiot who accidentally summons him. Because why wouldn’t you summon a demon? There aren’t a lot of panels to this comic yet, but so far I find it funny and the characters to just be weird but cool.
- Tied in Red by Torakodragon. Ned’s a normal guy. All he wants is a normal life, with a normal job, and a normal wife, in the normal universe where those with soul mates are born with a red string on their pinkie. I love the concept of this comic! I love the concept of the red tie of fate kind of thing and how it determines who you’re destined to be with in life. I think that the execution of this idea has been done really well so far in this comic and I just want more and I love seeing the growing love between these two because one was totally against it and the other seemed indifferent.
- Valentine by Seni-Arseni. Genre: yaoi, romance, drama, comedy, everyday. This comic is pretty much about a guy, Alex, who goes to this Valentine’s Day party type of thing where everyone gets a number and then someone else gets your number, too, and the two meet and hopefully hit it off. Well, Alex gets the same number as Max, a guy a year or two behind him in college and Alex just sees him as a friend. This comic has been really cute and good so far and I just want to see where it goes from here.
- About Us by Jessie Bae. Pink&Blue, Black&White, Orange&Green, Purple&Yellow, Red&Brown and Silver & Gold. Stories of six couples and how they love each others ❤ Super cute comic with just fluff and a bunch of characters and I love iiiiiiit.
- Age Matters by enjelicious. Story of a 25 yr. old billionaire bachelor who met a bizarre woman in her 30s and how they fall in love. Does age really matter? I’m really enjoying this story so far because it’s got comedy, abs, and potential romance.
- Always Human by walkingnorth. This is a story about nanobots, genetic engineering, and two girls falling in love. No matter how technology changes us, we’ll always be human. The art style is SO pretty in this comic, plus the music that goes along with each chapter is just amazing. The story itself is so cute so far and though it’s completed I haven’t even gotten half way through yet, but I really love it!
- Bite Me by AffectedMind. Tiana moved to Mainland to study and have peaceful life. Unfortunately Tyler, her schoolmate won’t let this happen, as it turned he’s a vampire and bites her. Soon the strange things start to happen. Tiana tries to push him away afraid he will abuse her. However affection towards him seem to be stronger. Will addiction turn into something more? Or after discovering the truth she will turn her back to him? I started reading this comic because another creator on this list (lifelight) had it recommended and well… I’m liking it? The story itself is darker than I thought it would be and I’m still trying to understand the romance aspect of it, but we’ll see where it goes from here.
- Catharsis by Ahniki. Fear is a powerful emotion that can end up overtaking one’s life. Leon thought he knew that. But when he’s thrown into the demonic realm that Catharsis governs over, he’ll learn that there is more to “true” fear than he could ever have imagined… But will he learn how to face it? I LOVE this webcomic so much! The concept behind it is wicked cool and it features a main character who can see colors when sounds and voices are around him, and each person has a unique color. It’s such a cool concept because he can use it to his advantage in the world he’s in. I need to read more, what am I doing?
- I Love Yoo by Quimchee. Dogged by pain and misfortune from the very beginning, Shin-Ae decides she wants nothing to do with people nor anything to do with romance. Although content with her unsocial, boring, loveless existence, her lifestyle is challenged after she ruins an unsuspecting strangers’ clothes. This comic is wicked funny and I love the art style, and the plot itself is very good, too! I want to see more because things have slowly been getting more serious and I want to know what’s going to happen next. But there’s plenty of comedy in here, don’t worry.
- Let’s Play by mongie. Sam wants to be a game developer, but before her career can get started, a popular gaming personality posts a video of himself playing her first game and gives it a bad review. To make matters worse, she soon finds out he’s her new neighbor! A story about gaming, memes, and social anxiety. Come for the plot, stay for the doggo. If any of you are fans of people like Markiplier or jacksepticeye on YouTube, you’ll SO relate to this comic. It’s funny and so good because it also deals with sexism and wanting to reach for your dreams.
- Lumine by Emma Krogell. A runaway werewolf, Lumine, meets a witch boy named Kody and is being hired to work as his bodyguard. Lumine, being determined to befriend Kody, tries everything to get Kody to trust him, while Kody tries to keep Lumine away from him. Their life gets even more complicated after an unfortunate event that leaves them to try to survive on their own. This story is so cute so far and I’m sure it’ll turn into a romance later on (I’m hoping), but so far it’s just about two boys looking to find their place in life and my heart can’t take it.
- Miss Abbott and the Doctor by Maripaz Villar. Doctor Andreas Marino loves his quiet life, filled with work and simple amusements, and when the strange Miss Abbott arrives in his town he decides he doesn’t like her at all. Unfortunatelly she’s funny and quirky, has an uncommon past and seems to enjoy getting him in trouble. Welcome to a sketchy Victorian rom-com! I love this comic! It’s so cute and simple but that’s what makes it so great. I love the romantic tension between Miss Abbott and Dr Andreas, and how they interact, and them as characters, and the art style. Just everything about this comic I love.
- My Dear Cold-Blooded King by lifelight. Born a humble peasant, Kihara Mei has lived simply day by day as a merchant in the capitol, and never assumed things would change. But, one fateful day would change the course of her life, when faced with a deadly challenge against dangerous royal assassins. Now, with the eyes of the dreaded Blood King upon her, her life of simplicity would now become a tangled web of secrecy, deceit, and desire. Loooooveeee this comicccc. Seriously it’s really good and the art style is lovely and the music on some of the chapters is so pretty, too. I love time period stories because this takes place a long time ago and there’s just so much at stake and I have SO many questions. Ugh. I need more.
- My Giant Nerd Boyfriend by fishball. A height difference of 30cm and above might seem adorable to some, but it usually causes a lot of minor inconveniences. Follow Fishball as she navigates the Malaysian life with her 199cm-tall, geeky boyfriend. This is a real-life type of comic where it’s about the creator and her super tall boyfriend and every time I read it I’m like, “omg it’s me and my husband.” Haha, it’s really cute and funny and you should definitely check it out.
- Siren’s Lament by instantmiso. Content with her ordinary life, Lyra is somewhat of a wallflower. However, her comfortable lifestyle suddenly goes astray when she accidentally plunges into the world of sirens. Entangled in a curse, Lyra will learn that her world may be a lot bigger than she had ever imagined. If you want hot guys with abs, a really pretty young woman, and sirens, then this is the comic for you. There’s romance, suspense, comedy. There’s so much wrapped up into this comic and I just want everything to work out for everyone because they’re all precious. Excuse me while I go sob into the void.
If you’ve read this far, CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve finally reached the end! And I just want you to know that I didn’t even list every single thing I’ve been reading or read over the last several months (otherwise this post would be waaaaaaaaay too long… much longer than what it is now). Some things I’ve given up on or just don’t have much to say, but I’ve seriously had a great summer of reading all sorts of comics and seeing all sorts of art styles.
Part of me wants to pick up a regular book and read it and do reviews again, the other part of me forgot how to do that, haha! But I’m going to do my best to devote more time into my blog once more because like I said earlier, I miss you all!
Let’s Chat! ^w^
How was your summer of reading? Did you read anything good? Bad? What was your favorite read this summer? (If that’s too tough, tell me your top three!) Any recommendations? Let me know!