Hey, I haven’t done one of these in a while. Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely people over at The Broke & the Bookish! Today’s topic is about the things on our reading wishlists that we want to see more of in books, whether that be tropes, types of characters, plots, etc.
1. More hate-to-love relationships. Okay, so, does it make me weird that I really like to read about these kinds of relationships? I think there’s something sweet about them and how it shows how people’s emotions can change and develop over time and with learned trust and respect. I don’t know, there’s just something humbling about it.
2. More relationships that have already started pre-book and continue to be strong throughout the story. I mean, do I really need to explain this one? Because I see a MAJOR lack in this kind of romantic relationship, period.
3. More childhood friendships that either do or don’t turn into romantic relationships. Now I love this kind of trope and think it’s super cute when it’s well done, but I hate it when there’s petty jealousy and all of that crap. But I know that also makes for an angsty story, so…
4. Of course more diversity is always a plus. LGBT+, POC, religious, etc. We all know what I mean.
5. Super cheesy fluff. Okay. I know we all like to read about the super cool hero/ine that goes out and saves the world, but what about those stories that are just feel-good and are about a week in their lives where they just kind of bum around, have funny Snapchat talks with friends, snuggle with their loved one, go on a date… I don’t know, I just want more fluff! Of course this would probably be better as a short story than a full on novel, but still.
6. More books set in other countries other than the US or fantasy worlds! I want to read more about cultures across the world through YA books. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!
7. Show more interactions with the online world. In case you haven’t noticed, you’re currently reading this on the Internet (GASP!), and the sheer lack of technology in many, many, MANY books is unrealistic. I get that there can be problems, but there’s always room to improve and grow in these areas. Many people have a large part of their lives online, so it’s only realistic to include that in books.
8. More adventures and less saving the world. I mean, don’t get me wrong, those books are and always will be awesome, but I’d love to read a super cool adventure story of a group of friends just going out and seeing the world, without having to save it from The Big Bad.
9. More pets! Super cute puppies and kitties and llamas and sheep and horses…. Okay, maybe this one’s just me, lol
10. More healthy family interactions! It’s always SO amazing to see healthy family interactions between teens and their parents or siblings, and I really, really just want to see more of that.
Let’s Chat! ^w^
What’s on your reading wishlist? What more would you like to see of in books? Does anything on my list resonate with you? Let me know!