Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely people over at The Broke & the Bookish. Today’s topic is about our top ten bookworm delights, which are bookish things that makes us happy or grateful. I love this topic, so here’s my top ten:
1 . Book sniffing – I am a book sniffer, I’ll admit it. I love the smell of books regardless if they’re new or old.
2. When covers are aesthetically pleasing – We all know covers that aren’t this way, but when they are? Oh. My. Goodness. It’s like a rainbow has descended upon my eyes. Here are some of my favorite aesthetically pleasing covers:
3. Getting to meet an author – I mean, this is a given when the experience is a positive one, right? I think it’s awesome to be able to meet an author and talk to them about their book and get pictures with them. Here I am with Jodi Meadows (right) and Erin Bowman:
4. When books have bookish swag modeled after something in the book – Think The Hunger Games or The Mortal Instruments and how there have been necklaces made of the Mockingjay and the Rune. Things like that, or like scarves, bookmarks, etc.
5. Bookmarks – Honestly, who doesn’t love a good bookmark? My favorite ones are the magnetic ones with cute little designs like donuts, owls, breakfast foods, and foxes.
6. Reading a book that brings me out of a slump – Oh, it’s the best feeling when you find a book that just speaks to your soul and brings you right out of a slump. This happened a couple of times, but the one I remember most is The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.
7. When my husband reads a book with me – There’s a simple pleasure when my husband and I read the same books because then we can talk about it and it’s just so fun!
8. Book subscriptions – I found the joy of receiving book subscription boxes this year and I find that it feels a lot like Christmas every month when this happens. Though I’m only keeping one book subscription box for now, I’m still enjoying what I get because it’s always a surprise.
9. The bookish community – Yes, all of you lovely people make me smile and feel all fuzzy and warm inside. Without the community, I don’t know that I’d still be doing this, so thank you all for sticking around!
10. Deckled edges – There’s just something so satisfying about deckled edges… I don’t know what it is, but I just love the feel and look of them, like I’m opening an old tome.
And there you have it! Ten of some of my favorite bookish delights. I’m sure that there’s plenty I’m not thinking of, but I think this is a good place to start.
What kinds of things bring you joy? Do you like to read with others or collect bookish swag? Let me know!