Another month come and gone. In terms of reading I think this month was more productive than the last, which I’m happy about. So let’s get into ALL THE THINGS!
P.S. What do we think of the banner? I might start having one in some posts, but not all of them. Just playing around with my formatting, but do let me know in the comments what you think.
Books I Read
- Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor. SO MUCH SQUEEING HAPPINESS OMG. This novella was so much YESYESYES, I just absolutely loved it! 5/5 stars Check out my review!
- Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor. This was such an amazing ending to a very beautiful trilogy and I’m so glad I finally finished it. It’s definitely one of my favorite trilogies of all time and I can’t wait to reread it one day. 5/5 stars Check out my review!
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. This was a cute contemporary about an American girl who goes to study abroad in France against her wishes and while there ends up finding love. I thought it was sweet, dramatic, and totally what I expected from this book. 4.5/5 stars Check out my review!
- The Crown and the Arrow & The Moth and the Flame by Renee Ahdieh. I didn’t even know these novellas existed until I started seeing reviews for the first one and I wanted to see what they were about. While one was seriously lacking in substance, I thought the other was so what I needed and I totally want a book just about Despina and Jalal. 3/5 stars and 4.5/5 stars, respectively. Check out my combined review!
- Alice by Christina Henry. This was a darker, twisted version of the tale many of us know, filled with blood and a race for freedom. 4/5 stars Check out my review!
- Earth’s End by Elise Kova. This was an emotional sequel that made me angry, happy, laugh, stop breathing momentarily. I thought that it was awesome, but the formatting definitely annoyed me. 4.5/5 stars Check out my review!
Books I Started But Didn’t Finish
- The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner. This is one that I’ve been seeing really awesome reviews for, but I’m finding myself kind of distancing myself from it. Maybe I just didn’t want to read it at the moment.
- Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews. This is the fifth book in the series, and I started reading it late on the 31st, so that’s why I haven’t finished it yet. But I’m enjoying what I’ve read so far.
Books I Got This Month
I don’t have as many this month that I got like last month, but I still get a few! This is comprised of both physical and ebooks.
- Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. I got this in the Uppercase Box for March and I’m pretty excited to read this! I might wait until summer but we’ll see.
- A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding by Jackie Copleton. This was the book in the Book Drop Box and it seems like something I’d read and enjoy.
- Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. I just had to get the third book after the first two. Not my collection is complete! I love these covers.
- The Griever’s Mark by Katherine Hurley. I kept seeing this one pop up in my “recommendations” on Amazon so I decided to get it because it seems like an interesting YA fantasy concept about bonds and energies.
- The Crown and the Arrow & The Moth and the Flame by Renee Ahdieh. Already read and reviewed (see above)!
- The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner. I started this but haven’t finished yet.
- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. Probably one of THE most talked about books this month. I told myself I wasn’t going to get it because I haven’t even finished TID or TMI. Did I listen? Noooooo.
- Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews. The eighth book in the Kate Daniels series, which makes me excited! I’m on book five, but I still want to make sure I’m caught up to them.
- Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. I wanted to read something by Emery Lord because she’s hilarious when you see the tweets she posts. I’m just hoping that her books will also be funny and heartfelt.
- The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows. I’ve been wanting to get into a Jodi Meadow book for a while, so I figured it was a good enough excuse to get the first book in this series/trilogy. I’ve heard good things so I’m hoping I enjoy it.
- The Deal by Elle Kennedy. I’ve never really read a New Adult book before, at least one specifically in that genre, so I wanted to give it a try and I’ve heard Kennedy’s Off Campus series is awesome, so I bought the first one.
- The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning. This is written by a German author, so it was translated into english. I thought that this sounded like a whimsical, romantic kind of read, so I wanted to see what it’s all about.
- Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn. I want to get into more fairytale type of books, so I picked this one out because it just sounded like it would be a funny, fun read about a girl with bad luck on her head.
- Where You’ll Find Me by Natasha Friend. This was published March 8, 2016. ARC copy.
- Underwater by Marisa Reichardt. This was published January 12, 2016. ARC copy.
- Stone Field by Christy Lenzi. This was published March 29, 2016. ARC copy.
- The Fearless by Emma Pass. This was published April 14, 2015. Completed copy.
Hey, that’s not bad! Fourteen books purchased this month as opposed to, like, 30… And four were gifted, so yay!
Discussions I Held
- How I Got Into Reading – I talk about my origins of reading and how I really got into it. I was always a reader, and my love for reading gradually grew over time.
Top Ten Tuesdays & Top 5 Wednesdays
- Books to Read If You’re in the Mood For… – I picked “strong female protagonist” for this topic because, let’s face it, girls can kick ass, too!
- Books on My Spring TBR – I listed about thirteen books because I’m ambitious, but I really do want to read these soon!
- Books I Love But I Haven’t Talked About in a While – These are definitely some of my favorites and I’ve either never mentioned them or I haven’t talked about them since I read them.
- Recent Five Star Reads – I loved this topic because it showed me that I actually don’t give a lot of five star ratings out to books; that’s a special place for special books.
- Biggest Book Hangovers – These were both good and bad hangovers, and let’s face it, we’ve all been there.
Beautiful People/Writing Related
Once again, I haven’t done much in the way of writing. I will be participating in Camp NaNoWriMo in April, though, so I’m excited for that!
- Beautiful People: March Edition – This month we got to talk about some of the ins and outs of one of our characters.
- Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 – I’m participating and I’m wicked excited for it!
I started a fun new series where I discuss some of the beautiful covers out there of books that I’ve read or plan on reading.
And more fun things I did and talked about:
- March Uppercase Box Unboxing – It’s always so fun to see what kinds of goodies you get in a subscription box each month.
- The Book Drop April 2016 Unboxing – This is a cool box, I just don’t know that I’ll continue it for much longer due to funds.
As for my Flights of Fantasy update, I’ve read another six fantasy books this month, bringing my total to 17 out of 15 books I wanted to read for the challenge! Yup, I knew I’d pass it, haha! So, I’m going to bump up my goal to 30 books, because let’s be honest, I’m probably going to read more than the 30 books I have for my Goodreads challenge this year as I’m already up to 19 books.
- I got my second tattoo! It’s a Mickey Mouse silhouette with filigree swirls on the inside! I absolutely love it!
- I saw Zootopia in theaters and it was awesome! It really touched on racism, the Black Lives Matter movement, police brutality, friendship, chasing your dreams, and so much more. LOVE LOVE LOVE! 10/10 stars. (Hence the Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde Tsum Tsums in the pic above.)
- I got a bunch of new clothes from Maurices and OMG ACTUAL CUTE CLOTHES FOR PLUS SIZES!? What is this SORCERY!? And I’ve gotten a bunch of compliments since wearing them, which is a plus.
And… I guess that’s it! It was a pretty decent month, even if I didn’t do as much as last time. I’m still proud of what I did accomplish, though.
How was your March? Did you have a good reading month? What was your favorite book that you reviewed? Did you see Zootopia? If so, let me know what you think!