It’s that time of year again, folks, where I review what I’ve read this past year and talk about it with you. This survey was created by the lovely Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner, so you should definitely go check her out.
**2018 READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read:
Number of Re-Reads:
Genre You Read The Most From: Fan fiction
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
This whole trilogy was AMAZING, but of the last two books in the trilogy that I read this year, Gemina was definitely my favorite. You can check out my review here!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Maybe the Vox Machina Origin comic books? I haven’t watched a lot of the first campaign which I know the books are based off of those characters, but I was expecting something… different? They’re still good, just not as good as I was expecting.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Probably Ruin and Rising – and in a good way. It’s been a couple of years since I read book two, so I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect going into it, but I really enjoyed it and thought it made for a great wrap up kind of book.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Not a book, but a fan fiction by Tharros called “Two Black Dots.” It’s an awesome fanfic about Bakugou Katsuki and Uraraka Ochako, and I highly recommend you check it out.
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Best series: (Fan fiction): Two Black Dots by Tharros
Best sequel: Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Best series ender: Obsidio by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Rick Riordan! I’ve never read any of his material before, but I started with Percy Jackson & the Lighting Thief several months ago and really enjoyed it. You can check out my review here!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Well, I didn’t start reading fan fiction until this year, SO I’m going to go with Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell by Ms_Chunks. It’s another Bakugou/Uraraka fan fic and it’s SO GOOD.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Have I mentioned Gemina and Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff yet? Because those two were AMAZING and I could not put them down.
Check out my Gemina review here and my Obsidio review here!
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I will say probably Bakugou Katsuki is Going to Become a Friendly Guy Even if it Kills Him by piscesroyalty. It’s a comedy/romance fan fiction and I have never laugh out loud so much then when I was reading this.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Ella Malikova from Gemina. SHE’S AMAZING. Super sassy, doesn’t put up with your crap, and is just a great side character. Seriously loved her.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
falling by isanas is so beautiful. It pulls on your heart and it’s just… oof, so good.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
I really have no idea with this one. I know I’ve had a lot of thoughts on several of the books I read, reflecting on some of the elements of them and how they could be interpreted in real life and such, and I know that on more than one occasion I found myself going, “Wow, that’s amazing,” but I can’t really pinpoint what books those might be.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. SERIOUSLY. I would’ve enjoy this so much as a kid hahaha
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
“Patience and Silence had one beautiful daughter. And her name was Vengeance.”
-Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Gemina: 659 pages
I’ve read a lot of one-shot fan fics, so I’m going to say those lol Some were under 1000 words.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Have I mentioned the Illuminae Files yet? Because OH MAN DID I HAVE A LOT OF ANIMATED REACTIONS TO THESE BOOKS. Like, I’m not the most animated person when reading. I don’t make a lot of faces or even really laugh aloud at something funny, but these books? Oh man, these books seriously took me on a roller coaster and I know for a fact that Gemina had me gaping at the end of it for a while.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
KACCHAKO. My loves. ❤ (Bakugou Katsuki x Uraraka Ochako)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Nik Malikov and Ella Malikova from the Illuminae Files. They’re cousins, so I just love their dynamic and how they pick on each other, but also would die for the other. It’s great.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Leah On the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli. This was a fun read that I read back in May and I just remember loving Becky’s first book: Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, so I was not disappointed. Check out my review here!
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
Just a looooooot of fan fiction, haha! I got to support my friends’ writings, you know?
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Both Hanna Donnelly and Nik Malikov from Gemina. *shrug* What can I say? I love me a strong, fierce, sassy, brave woman, and a goofy, gold-hearted, family-oriented bad boy.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
I don’t think I’ve read any debuts this year, so N/A.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I need to stop mentioning the Illuminae Files in this post, but THESE BOOKS ARE LITERAL VISUALS, and the way things are described is just so well done? Like??? Ugh, so good.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Bakugou Katsuki is Going to Become a Friendly Guy Even If It Kills Him by piscesroyalty on AO3. It’s SO funny and SO good, omg, seriously, read it.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
In Hindsight by infantblue. This fanfic CRUSHED me. A bunch of us did live reactions with the author and she was just so overwhelmed by the support she got for this. I literally felt the tears in my eyes, but I didn’t actually cry lol
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Shout out to every fan fic I read because, man, were they a surprise! Seriously, I’ve read so many and I loved a lot.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Ooh, I think Eidolon by Grace Draven was the most unique just because of the species in it and such. I mean, I read Radiance last year, but I really thought the concept of a human and a Kai together and how the two would go through life together was super intriguing. The way it was executed was well done.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Uh. I have no idea haha
1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018?
readwithcindy – she’s got such a great personality and such a great level of sass, and I’m glad I found her.
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?
Fan Fiction Galore & Why You Should Read Some
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018:?
Here’s my instagram if you want to check it out!
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?
I took part in the Biannual Bibliothon this past winter/spring in early 2018, as in, I was one of the blog hosts lol
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?
I don’t know, just getting back to it, really. I’ve barely posted at all this year, but it really feels good to be back on my little corner of the internet.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Uh, I didn’t blog lol Barely, anyway. Finding the time and motivation was difficult, but I’m making it more of a priority nowadays and really glad I am.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Biannual Bibliothon Challenge: Rewrite a Favorite Scene
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
None. I’m okay with where everything is.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The Bookmarked series on YouTube where Zoe, Hailey, and Hannah have guests and talk about bookish topics.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Well, the past couple of years I’ve been setting my Goodreads reading goal to one book, which has been working out great for me, haha! So that was achieved. That’s pretty much it haha
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
If I haven’t started this book this week, it’s definitely going to be Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir. Like, my husband caught up real fast this year with all three books and has been waiting months for me to read this third book because he wanted to discuss and I just haven’t yet. Whoops lol
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi. But first I need to read Restore Me, which is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal. I’ve been following Hafsah on Twitter for years now, and I’m so proud of her debut coming up! I’m definitely going to read it when it’s released.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Is the final book of the Ember in the Ashes saga going to be published in 2019? If so, that one lol
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
I’m going to be having a 2019 goals post coming out next week, so read about them there!
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Not applicable haha!
Alright my friends, my question to you for the end of this year is: if you could squeeze in just one more read for the end of the year, what would it be and why? Have a wonderful and safe new year!