Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely people over at The Broke & the Bookish. Today’s topic is all about books that’ll make you laugh. Now, I’m going to be honest: I don’t laugh when I read books. I mean, don’t get me wrong! I think plenty of books are funny and I’m often laughing in my head, but I don’t always laugh out loud. Some books I have recently, and I think it’s the best feeling, but otherwise I just kind of sit there and smile and think something’s funny.
So this list was really hard for me to make because I only remember a few in which I physically laughed out loud to. But here is my list of books that will get a chuckle out of you, no matter how it comes about:
1 . Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli – This book will forever be listed among the “cute” and “funny” categories for me and I think that it really deserves this spot. It’s not only full of cute moments, but lots of moments where I found myself laughing out loud (and I’m pretty sure this is the first book that I did so with). So much sass. So many puns. So many oreos.
2. Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor – If you love Zuzana and Mik from Daughter of Smoke & Bone then you’re going to love this novella because OMG SO MUCH LAUGHTER WAS HAD. Zuzana is my spirit animal. She is so funny and witty and clever and you just need to read this novella. Go. Now. DO IT.
3. Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner – I just remember Gideon trying so hard to be suave and charming, and he’d say something that would dig him into a deeper hole and in his head he’d chastise himself. Too. Funny.
4. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare – Honestly, Simon is my ultimate book BFF because he just comes out with these awesome lines that make the situation either really awkward or very sarcastic. I love him. Plus Jace and Isabelle and other characters all have their turn at humor and sass and I love them to piecessssss.
5. The Amazing Book is Not on Fire by Dan Howell and Phil Lester – If you haven’t watched these two YouTubers, I suggest you do so. Dan’s sarcastic humor always makes me laugh and feel so relatable, and then Phil is just a weird goofball. Reading their book, and subsequently listening to the audiobooks, really made my day.
6. The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews – As I continue into this series more and more I find that there are parts where I’m smiling and laughing on the inside or just getting more of the jokes or whatever because Kate is a really sarcastic person, especially on the inside. I love how she always makes side comments to herself and sometimes it seems like the people around her can read her mind. It’s not a funny series overall, but there are bits of humor throughout to lighten the tension of what’s actually going on.
And that’s all I could think of because I’m literally getting a headache trying to remember the books I’ve laughed at while reading. I just… I can’t remember. In the moment, sure, but now? Oh man.
Oh, and because I can, I’m going to HIGHLY recommend this anime that is a romantic comedy and PURE GOLD.
Ore Monogatari (My Love Story!) is about:
The story follows Takeo Gōda, a tall and muscular student who doesn’t have much luck with women, as every girl he likes ends up falling for his best friend, Makoto Sunakawa, who is charming and good-looking. This all changes when he saves Rinko Yamato, a petite shy girl who, above all other expectations, falls in love with Takeo, beginning a unique love story.
You have no clue how much I love this anime. I just finished watching all of the episodes last night and I’m SO SAD because I NEED more.
So I want to ask all of you for recommendations of funny books! Because obviously I need to know some more.
What kinds of books make you laugh? Are you like me and don’t really laugh out loud when it comes to reading? Let me know!