Hey peeps and welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely people of The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic was a freebie and so I chose to talk about some of my favorite bookish best friends. You know these characters as the ones who never leave the main character’s side and who would go above and beyond for them. So here are my top eight picks because I had a hard time picking ten:
- Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. He’s always the best friend that everyone can look to and just think, “Yup. He’s my friend.” I love Simon and his witty humor and the fact that he tries to think like a rational person a lot of the time. He’s a great friend and I’d totally love to have him as one.
- Zuzana from The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. Zuzana is pretty forceful in her friendship, but not in a bad way. She’s forceful in a way that she shows you her love in a blunt and honest way. I think I really like that about her and the fact that she doesn’t let a lot scare her; that she’s more curious than anything is actually really entertaining.
- Pauline from the Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson. She’s such a sweet and devoted young woman with a secret. She’s very soft spoken and kind and I think that she really balances out Lia’s nature. I just thought that she made a great best friend given the circumstances that they thrust themselves into and that they balance each other out well.
- Kenji from the Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi. I love him. He’s so funny, so sarcastic, and has such a big head, but he’s still lovable anyway. I want him to be real so he can be my best friend. He’s loyal, confident, brave, and smart. Just a perfect best friend character, seriously.
- Andrea from the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. She’s a tough cookie, that one. A sharp shooter who is able to strike a target from a great distance, she also has a personality that cares about her friends, but she’s not going to sugar coat things if something needs to be said. I like her a lot, though she needs to accept who and what she is.
- Marlee from the Selection series by Kiera Cass. I thought she was going to be a jerk for the longest time, but I actually found that I really like her. She’s very kind and charming, and though she makes mistakes I think that that’s what makes her special. I just think that though her time was short in the Selection process, she made an everlasting effect and that really translated into the rest of the story.
- Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Oh you know, Ron is kind of a hot mess. He’s a goof, but he doesn’t always try to be. He’s loyal and devoted, funny and kind, but he can also have a fiery temper at times. I think that he, along with Harry and Hermione, make an amazing trio.
- Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. She’s smart and kind and doesn’t sugar coat her feelings or thoughts when she speaks. I think that’s she’s a very wonderful character and just how the trio acts around one another makes me smile.
So that’s it! Who are some of your favorite best friend characters? Let me know!