Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday as hosted by the lovely peeps at Broke & Bookish. Today’s topic is all about the characters you just didn’t click with. You know you have those characters that you just couldn’t stand one way or another, despite really trying to like them. Or maybe you do like them but you just can’t feel anything for them. Well, here’s my list:
- Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Now, I’m still reading the series so maybe she’ll grow on me more, but I just haven’t clicked with her. I love her in some ways and am just kind of meh about her in others. She just seems kind of flat and kind of a drama queen, but maybe she’ll be more likable as the series goes on.
- Mare Barrow from “Red Queen” by Victoria Aveyard. I’ll admit that there was a lot of influence from other readers that caused me to struggle with reading this book, but I just had a really hard time caring about Mare and her situations, believing the romance, and how her powers worked. I don’t know, she just didn’t seem real to me.
- Aspen from The Selection series by Kiera Cass. He just kind of pissed me off the whole time. Like, boy, get out of there! You’re ruining this nice romance America is having with Maxon! Gosh!
- Catelyn Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I don’t know about you, but for some reason I just find her chapters kind of bland and boring, and her to be too… I don’t know, stoic? She’s a good character, but she seems to rigid for this kind of story.
- Rafe from The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson. He’s growing on me a bit more, but I still have problems just connecting with him. Yeah, I get it he’s undercover and all that, but I just… I’m so team Kaden that I just have a hard time looking at Rafe as anything but an annoyance. Forgive me.
- Linh Cinder from “Cinder” by Marissa Meyer. I know a lot of people love this first book, but I just struggled connecting with the main character and Kai so much. Maybe I was in a slump at the time, I’m not sure, but I just couldn’t really feel anything for some of the situations they went through. Other situations I was totally fine with, but some were just kind of meh to me.
- Meira from “Snow Like Ashes” by Sara Raasch. I enjoyed the book, but I had trouble clicking with the main character. Sometimes the situation or the world got me distracted from what was happening to the actual characters, and in Meira’s case I just found it difficult to follow some of the things she went through. Though I loved her at the end and how kickass she was, it was the beginning and parts of the middle I struggled with.
- Prince Magnus Damora from the Falling Kingdom series by Morgan Rhodes. Okay, yes, a lot of people like him, but he just frustrates me! I can see so much awesome potential in him if he’d just let himself feel some emotion every once in a while and actually just… I don’t know, be more human and less like his father!
- Sabriel from “Sabriel” by Garth Nix. I had to DNF this book because I was just bored with it. Over 100 pages in and I was having so much trouble connecting with the character of Sabriel and caring about her situation.
- Greg Gaines from “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” by Jesse Andrews. It just… it was confusing and I found him to be kind of a jerk. He was so detached from the world, even with his sort-of friendship with Earl and Rachel. It was just a meh read and I didn’t really feel anything for any of the characters, really.
So there you have it, ten characters I had a hard time clicking with. I’m sure the list can go on, but there’s some of them.
Who are some of the characters you can’t click with and why? Let me know!