Hello lovely people~ I hope you’re doing well. SO, today I have an interesting post to talk about and that is The Picky Pledge Challenge. I was perusing Alexa’s blog over at Alexa Loves Books and stumbled upon her post for this year’s challenge about book buying habits.
First off, what is The Picky Pledge? It’s a challenge that was created by Alexa and Hannah of So Obsessed With to reflect on your book buying habits and to become more intentional with the books that are read, to read more backlist books, to read books already on your shelves, and reduce the amount of review books received.
Honestly? I think it’s a great idea! This past year I didn’t buy too many books, I don’t think, but I can still change my habits and really focus on the books I already own and give them some love, you know? So, I decided I’m going to join in this challenge along with them!
I don’t really have statistics of what I read and bought and such, so I won’t be going over them in this post, but I hope to next year when I do a recap of this challenge.
Speaking of, here are the categories that they set to focus on for this year!
I find these to be very reasonable and fun to do! I also find them to be in line with the Beat the Backlist Challenge that I also am taking part in this year. I’ll keep track of the goals for this specific challenge here on this post (as well as in a separate document on my computer lol), in case you want to see how I’m doing with it!
3+ YEARS AGO:
HYPED: The Wicked King by Holly Black & Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare | Both bought January 2019
So what about you? Are you up for the challenge? Be sure to check out Alexa’s and Hannah’s posts and their own goals for the year! Let me know in the comments below what your reading goals are and what some of your buying habits for the new year are.
Happy New Year, peeps!
I can’t believe it’s already the new year. 2018 FLEW by, and I bet 2019 is going to go even faster. Oh joy.
But with a new year comes new year’s resolutions and promises that you won’t keep (maybe lol), so here’s my list of goals that I hope to achieve this upcoming year:
Reading & Blog Goals
- Read one book per week. That’s 52 books for the year, which is entirely doable for me considering I’ve read 50 books in the past. This includes manga and comics, just so we’re clear.
- Have half of those books be ones that are already on my shelves. Look, I recently did a large unhaul of unread books that had been sitting on my shelf gathering dust because I knew I wasn’t going to read them and I’d rather them go somewhere I know they’ll be well loved, so this year I want to focus on reading at least 25 books that are already currently on my shelves. Doable. Achievable. Awesome.
- Post twice a week on my blog. I’ve already been doing this as I wanted to start the habit before the new year, but I’m going to try to post on Mondays (reviews) and Thursdays (chats/discussions/fun things). So far it’s been working, so that’s good. So that’ll be 104 posts for the year. Again: doable.
- Reach level two Japanese by the end of June. So I’ve been trying to learn Japanese for a while but I really suck at studying, so I’m going to try to make it my mission to study daily and reach level two on the app I use by the end of June. Again: doable. This also includes reviewing and practicing and all that jazz.
- Lose at least ten pounds by the end of June. I’m not going to set the bar too high for weight loss goals. This one is entirely doable, and I’ve been working on it more this past month that I have in the past. Let’s hope for some good results!
- Find work that’s more suited to me. This one is one I’ve been working towards, but I don’t know how it’ll go yet, so I’m going to keep this one kind of vague lol, but I do hope to find a job either in my field, teaching abroad, or something entirely different.
- Finish the first draft of my book by the end of June. I have a lot I want to get done by midyear lol, but I really want to finish just the very rough first draft of the novel I’ve been trying to work on.
- Work toward a better well-being and state of mind. It’s been a rough couple of years, friends, and I just want to get to a place of joy. This one is ongoing, though, so it’ll be for a lifetime.
I think that’s it for my goals. They’re all attainable, all doable, and I think that’s the best part of this whole thing.
What are some of your goals for this year? What are some of the things you achieved last year, but still want to continue into this year? Let me know in the comments!
Hello all! So I’ve participated
(and I say this lightly) with Beat the Backlist for the last two years, so I’m going to do it again with 2019!
Beat the Backlist is a challenge hosted by NovelKnight where the goal is to read as many backlisted books of your TBR as you can throughout the year. So for the 2019 challenge, it’s to read any book published prior to 2019, and one that you started to read in 2019 (you can’t have started in 2018 or prior; the goal is to start and finish the year the challenge is being held). You can find more information on her blog which I’ve linked at the beginning of this paragraph or the image above.
Here’s my list of backlist books I hope to get to. I’m going to be very hopeful here when listing these because I don’t know that I’ll actually get to them. Mind you, this isn’t all of the books that are backlist titles that I want to get to, but just some of the ones I hope to read in 2019.
The Burning Sky / Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki / Winter / The Well of Ascension / The Fifth Season / Strange the Dreamer / Ruin and Rising / Six of Crows / Crooked Kingdom / The Graceling
As you can see, it’s pretty much fantasy and sci-fi across the board (I mean, SFF are my fave genres, so…), which I’m perfectly fine with because I love diving into worlds that aren’t our own and reading about a lot of magical and fantastical things.
I’m also trying to keep this TBR manageable for this challenge because the last two years of reading for me were really tough and not all there, so I want to ease into it with titles I know I’m going to like.
I’ll also be participating in the Hogwarts House Mini Challenge as Hufflepuff!
I’m excited for 2019 and hope it brings the spark and love of reading back into my life, and I hope this challenge also helps to do that!
Are you participating in BTB? What books are you going to read that are backlisted? Let me know in the comments!